The official site of Orlando Hip-Hop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So......some emcees are stating, "Southern rap isn't really Hip Hop"....wow!

2 posters

Go down

So......some emcees are stating, "Southern rap isn't really Hip Hop"....wow! Empty So......some emcees are stating, "Southern rap isn''t really Hip Hop"....wow!

Post  Rocwell Sat May 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Wussup OHH.
Don't know if you seen this but kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Especially when "verterans" of the game say stupid s*%&. I understand
that 'hip hop' originated in the east coast region but you cannot prevent evolution. If you have a pit bull, mate it with a german sheppard,
although ugly combo, lol, is it still a 'dog'. Point is, doesn't matter if it is West coast, East coast, down South, international......it is STILL hip hop. like it or not.

Guru, part of GANGSTARR and some dude Smile Solar, had some interesting things to say about 'southern rappers' and souther music not being considered 'hip hop'. Now some may not care, and some may take offense. I personally, take offense, I'm a southern artist and besides my personal music, WHO is in position to judge, state, or tell the world who 'owns' hip hop, who's classified, deserves to be in the club or be labeled as hip hop.

Wester.com defines 'hip hop" as -
Main Entry: hip–hop
Pronunciation: \ˈhip-ˌhäp\
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from 4hip + 1hop
Date: 1982
1: a subculture especially of inner-city youths who are typically devotees of rap music
2: the stylized rhythmic music that commonly accompanies rap ; also : rap together with this music
— hip–hop adjective

URBAN DICTIONARY defines hip hop as:
A culture and form of ground breaking music and self expression with elements that consisted of the elements of graffiti art, DJing, MCing, and breaking. Today Hip-Hop is considered to be dead in the mainstream because so-called mainstream Hip-Hop doesn't have the elements of hip-hop and have no meaning.

ANYONE SEE ANY REFERENCE OF HIP HOP BEING ONLY EAST COAST OR UP NORTH BOUNDARIES??

I cannot begin to discuss how many northern cats been changing their formulas, thoughts etc to merge with a southern artist(s) or work with a 'dirty south' beat or producer. How many merged to make that 'now hot money' and stepped out the box. Change is good but always keep your composure, don't lose yourself in the storm ie....Fat Joe, etc but be yourself and what you know you are and all will be fine.

But the ignorance behind certain thoughts, statements, etc is killing me and truthfully and bluntly speaking, if it wasn't for the dirty south era, certain artist(s) this hip hop s*&% would have probably be in worse shape than it is today. The Lil' Waynes, Outkast, 8ball/MJG, Trick, T.I, Ross (borderline threw his name into it), Trina, Plies, Flo-Rida, UGK, Lil Flip, Cash Money, Dead Prez, Lil' Jon, No Limit, Scarface, Luda, Three-6-Mafia, Jeezy, Gucci,.....hell I can go on for days. Two words,...CASH COW and the industry is eating and has been eating healthy for YEARS now off of the south. Is it all 'rap' music..........technically classified. But more importantly.........IS SOUTHERN MUSIC NOT HIP HOP??? Please.

Enough said. Last statement, especially to our elders.........i.e GURU, appreciate what you did, music etc but every fruit has its season, if you rapping or ......spitting 'HIPHOP' in your 40's something is definitely not right with your still active career and some things should be modified. I mean, there are other layers of hip hop besides just being an artist. And times have changed, safe to say, respect the youth, the present and the future.

Rocwell

Rocwell

http://www.myspace.com/rocwell

Back to top Go down

So......some emcees are stating, "Southern rap isn't really Hip Hop"....wow! Empty Re: So......some emcees are stating, "Southern rap isn't really Hip Hop"....wow!

Post  Spindoe Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:34 pm

That's pretty fucking rich coming from Guru, considering that last piece of shit he dropped with "super producer" Solar. In the words of tube steak, 'it sounds like a swallowed a harmonica'

I'm trying to find a copy online but I think it's been swept under the carpet Laughing
Spindoe
Spindoe

Back to top Go down

So......some emcees are stating, "Southern rap isn't really Hip Hop"....wow! Empty Re: So......some emcees are stating, "Southern rap isn't really Hip Hop"....wow!

Post  Spindoe Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:52 pm

http://www.zshare.net/audio/59389060e2a83b48/

My mistake it's no longer "Super Producer" Solar, it's now the G.O.A.T. Solar. Rolling Eyes It's called Fast Lane.

How someone can say southern hip hop isn't hip hop then so blatantly jump on the cash bandwagon by dropping this is beyond me. I don't have anything against southern hip-hop, it just ain't my thing. But, I can still recognise the talent and see it as a form of hip-hop, and will call anyone out who has the audacity to say it's not - especially if it's done in the way Guru has here. Damn son Guru used to be (one of) the GOAT in my mind (to coin the phrase, ain't jumping on his dick) but he's really dropped in my estimations recently.
Spindoe
Spindoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down